Friday, 28 September 2007

Actual love in Agra and new housing

Being in India is not just a ten weeks' stay with fungal, bacterial and solar experiments. No, it is also an opportunity to see palaces and other sights that I never had a chance to see last time I was here. So I went to Agra with Ines from Germany who was in Kanpur to install an analysis apparatus (won't even try and explain what kind of machine she had deliviered to the deparment since that might scare you away).

Anyhow. Taj Mahal was built as a confession of love and as a memorial to Mumtaz Mahal by the emperor Shah Jahan. So in order to sympathize with the emperor, we decided to give Taj a big kiss when we arrived. We were not the only ones to be there that day, this magnificent monument is vistited by thousands of people everyday and is said to be one of the world's wonder.

When the nuns arrived, I totally forgot the palace for some minutes. these smiling women were so blue and real and they looked so innocent. I am glad that they decided to visit this holy Islamic palace this day... (who is the guy to the right?)
I think I might have encountered some terrorists on site too. don't know what you might think of me now, but why was this man destroying the grounds around Taj? Isn't that terrorism so please tell me!
I actually tried to find out why this was done, but the man didn't understand my English or at least he didn't answer me in a proper, understandable way. I am quite sure that people who don't speak American English or any kind of English for that matter, they can actually be terrorists.. Hmm..


Love couples were there and there were so many beautiful views and yes, it was hot. Really hot. Even men in red hats approached me in the stairs...
I was lucky to bring my sunglasses that day. Looking cool and smart. Just like I always want. In the backround, you can see Agra Fort. The emperor who lived here had over 5000 women. Busy life..?
During this week, my fungus has started to work with one portion of the collected waste water. Everything seems fine, but I am sure they can do better. They managed much better in Lund when I first applied them on these horrible dyes. I will therefore get back to you with some nice pictures of what decolourization really looks like, once the fungus likes to work again. And for those of you who decided to take a shot on last week's question, Charlie Garzia was right: you saw the fungus on the picture. Congratulations. A surprise is awaiting you!

I am really soon off for a new outskirt. To an old city this time. There will be palaces too, but not as magnificient as Taj Mahal. The place is called Orchha. It is said to be nice...

I will have to tell you that you won't find me at Visitors' Hostel (VH) anymore. If you were about to come there. You should also know by now that India is the country with abbrevations for everything! OMG is frequently used and stands for Oh My God. Well, anyhow, I am now at Girls' Hostel, T.G (Thank God). No guys can come as they want here... hahah.

I miss you too. A lot. Will be looking forward to seeing you smiling from my new doorstep,

Take Care and if you happen to pass a Swedish chocolate ball in a machine or in a shop, send me a thought. I have actually found some really nice, sweety balls over here too, not with chocolate but made from chickpeas... Yum.

Ok,
power and bacterias

/LindiZ
ps I have new roomies now too, mosquitos.. Ahhh ds

7 comments:

HHH LLL said...

Man oh man, it is like 400 years have past since I last heard your voice. Our schedules don´t seem to match too good anylonger, damn.
But it sure looks like you have started to get a feeling for the surroundings, good going!
I have been trying hard to focus on an article from 1969 about seastars, but last nights few hours of sleep takes its toll. Oh, let´s talk soon, ok?!?!
kisses

Anonymous said...

oooohh, i really like the picture with your new place. i don't know why, but it made me long even more to leave this place.. you know that song... we got to get out of this place..if it's the last thing we'll ever do... yeah, that's me singing and it's me longing.
ok. the next picture i liked a lot was the one with the nuns. they looked so nice. i think we should start to have samelooking clothes also. i mean we, like in our hangout in malmö. wouldn't that be nice. i would like to have red or yellow dresses.
what i like the most with the picture though, is that you look so happy!
miss you.
kisses and hugs
robert

Cin said...

Now my internet is working again, so I hope seeing you around in space! Nice to see your little trip!

Miss you loveliness!
Kiss kiss bye!

jantabhai said...

This is very useful information.

Also to read more information about agra city,

Click here

jantabhai said...

This is very useful information.

Also to read more information about agra city,

Click here

Anonymous said...

Actually, waiting with eager on that 40GB ipod you promised as a prize as i may, truth be told, i didnt guess for fungi, at least not out loud. my somewhat cryptical guess posted on the 24th, refered more to hairy, creepy good for nothing insects, bugs and what have you not, and more specifically thier offspring. But i guess, i kinda deserve the surprise anyhow since i was the only one guessing. So, fine send over that ipod for my birthday. (next thursday). Ok, beautiful. take care and lets talk soon
ps. i also to read more information about agra city

Anonymous said...

Hej Linda! I couldn't sleep so I decided what better thing to do than to read your blog. All of it! Sounds like you have found an interesting mix of real work, something that improves you know what (clue: 11 letters, first begins with e:-)), vegetarian food (your in the right place for that right?), living in a devoloping country (although it doesn't sound like there are too many untouchables around IIT...), seeing cheap labour and long hours first hand, Vitamin D:-), gender disequality although I imagine this has improved since the days of 5000 wives. Busy is not the word for that ridiculas seems more suitable but I guess we can dream all the same:-)

Well look forward to reading about how the dies work and all the other "dynamique" stories:-) I have my M.T. presentation this day two weeks so it's time to start making the slides.

Let me know if they eat Urud Dhal? I went to an auryvedic doctor a few months ago and amoung the different things he advised me to do was to eat Urud Dhal with a spice called Hing... Heavy stuff!

Har det så rolig!

Eoin

PS:I am sure that the "things" in the petrie dish are some of your funguses growing but the photo looks more like some sort of lightbulb to me. If I am right I donate my prize of an IPOD 40Gig player to the father, researcher, student guy:-)

PPS: I hitched from Västerås to Gbg a few weks ago in 5 hours. Two lifts. The only way to go. SJ was 450 Kr 'cos I hadn't booked a ticket... Met nice people too. Good old-timers!